Gramma and Grandpa Olson

Gramma and Grandpa Olson

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Remembering Lola


       Lola Jane Olson, 62, of Bozeman passed away Thursday evening, October 3rd with her family gathered around her.  She was born March 29, 1951 in Rupert, Idaho to Mirl and Ada Whitaker and grew up on her family farm.  She attended Minidoka County High School and graduated in 1969.  She received an Associate’s degree from Ricks College in 1971 and took two years of Elementary Education from Idaho State University in Pocatello, Idaho.  In 1972, she married the love of her life, Jerry Olson, in the LDS Idaho Falls Temple for time and all eternity.

       Lola worked as a JC Penney shoe clerk in Pocatello until Jerry got a job in 1975 at the Bozeman Daily Chronicle as the Circulation Manager.   She started as a motor route driver for the Chronicle in 1976 and delivered the same route for 37 years until her death.  Lola also considered being a mother her full time job and she and Jerry raised seven children during this time. 

       She is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and has served multiple times in several areas of the church including the Relief Society, Young Women’s, the Primary, and most recently in the nursery where she was surrounded by children, one of her greatest loves.  She was the advancement chairman for Troop 673 and was involved in over 30 Eagle scout awards.   She also served with her husband for three years as a facilitator for the Addiction Recovery Program in the church. 

       Lola is survived by her husband, Jerry Olson; three brothers, Morris (Marge) Whitaker of St. George, UT, Ron (Marina) Whitaker of Las Vegas, NV, and Barry Whitaker of Cedar City, UT and her three sisters, Deanna Cole of Almo, ID, Claire (Art) Olson of Portland, OR, and Joyce (Roger) Stroud of Herriman, UT; her children Brandon (Peggy) Olson of Belgrade, Kristin (Mark) McKamey of Las Vegas, NV, Jennifer (Levi) Shugart of Belgrade, Kenneth (Megan) Olson of Buckeye, AZ, MaryAnne (Chase) Heap of Farmington, NM, David Olson of Bozeman, and Kacy Olson of Billings; and her 26 grandchildren whom she loved so dearly. 

       The family wishes to extend their gratitude to the Bozeman Police Department, the Fire Department, AMR, the Emergency staff, and the ICU doctors and nurses at Bozeman Deaconess Hospital for their support of Lola in her final hours.   Her viewing will be held at 10am on Saturday, October 12 and the celebration of her life will begin at 11am at the LDS Stake Center on Colter Avenue.  Dokken Nelson Funeral Service will be handling funeral arrangements and condolences and memories can be shared with the family at www.lolaolson.blogspot.com .  Donations can be made to American Federal Savings Bank in the Olson Family Memorial fund.
        Lola was a proud wife, mother and grandma and loved being with her family more than anything.  She was a dedicated employee and worked hard at everything she did.  She was very patient, thoughtful and selfless, and always put others’ needs above her own.  She endured many hardships in her final years but continued to be an inspiration to all she knew.  She was an amazing woman, truly one of a kind and we will miss her every second of everyday.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this spot! I'll "collect" my thoughts and add some memories. I love and miss my sister. Sisters' Getaways will never be quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry and kids (and grandkids)-

    You already know this but I just can't say it enough how amazing and awesome Lola was. From the first time I met you guys to the last time I saw her, she ALWAYS, without fault, had a smile on her face. The memories I have of her at the Chronicle are so many. Along with her gentle spirit and kindness in her heart for others, the thing I remember most about Lola is her work ethic and how she cared SO VERY MUCH for each and every one of her customers. I witnessed several times her sending back bundles of "thrown together" newspaper bundles, half torn or not complete. She made sure they were re done because there was NO way she was going to deliver those papers to her customers in that condition. She cared THAT much. She gave, in my opinion, STELLAR customer service. Who else can say they have delivered papers for 38 years? What an accomplishment. Beyond being the worlds greatest newspaper carrier, I witnessed the love she had for Jerry and her kids and grandkids. She fought for every penny she deserved because she wanted to make sure her family was taken care of. Period. It wasn't for her, it was for her family. She inspired me on so many levels and I wish I could have told her how truly special she was. I am not sure how this life will be knowing I will not run into her on occasion and see her smile. My heart aches for Jerry and the kids for such a loss. I am also hurt for her customers who were not only the people she delivered to, but her friends. The best way I can put my thoughts on Lola Olson is she was one CLASSY lady and I am a far better person to have gotten the honor to know her and work with her. Much love and prayers to the Olson family ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want her family to know... especially Jennifer, who I was friends with since summer camp (and who later married my cousin) how much we appreciated her. She was a force for good, and will be missed. Please know you are all in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were very saddened to hear of our neighbor Lola's passing. Our thoughts are with the Olson family. She was a wonderful person and will be greatly missed.

    The Greens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for giving us these wonderful recent photos of Lola, Jerry and family. It helps those of us who had been blessed by Lola's goodness for years and since moved on to distant places. I trust that you will all be comforted and blessed in the days and years ahead. These times are hard yet I trust there will be sweet times as well. Lola lived life fully and generously leaving lasting and treasured memories. God bless each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marge and I are still in shock at the passing of Lola Jane Whitaker Olson, my little sister (she is 11 years younger than me). I watched Lola grow up on our little farm on the banks of the Snake River and have admired and respected her as she married, raised her family and endured the many challenges that life can bring. She has a wonderful posterity who will long remember her innate kindness and naturally cheery disposition. She worked hard to help provide for her family with a demanding job and little free time. She was able to go on an annual "Sisters' Getaway" to the Oregon Coast which she loved and we were able to have cherished adult time together as siblings and In-Laws (the girls sometimes let the boys tag along). We will miss her sorely and express our sincere condolences to Jerry and her children and grandchildren. She now is enjoying the peace of one of Heavenly Father's choicest daughters in the company of Mom and Dad and so many others who have gone before. Oh that we can all become as good and pure as she is.

    Love and Hugs,

    Uncle Morry and Aunt Marge

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don and Almira DespainOctober 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM

    Lola and I served together in several situations. I will always treasure the summer days we spent together at Girls Camp. She attended faithfully year after year and helped so many girls and leaders learn to appreciate the earth we live on and improve our relationships with the Creator. We knew and loved her family and pray for you to be comforted. Almira and Don Despain

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really miss her I have been emotinal she was wonderful she was always kind AND CONSITERIT she would help me when i was feeling down i wish i could see her right now i know shes in a better place now but i wonder if she could she be here right now i her voice in my head

    ReplyDelete
  9. Art and I are stunned and devastated by my sister Lola's death. I am so grateful that she and I, and each of my five other brothers and sisters, were born into the same family and that we were raised on a farm in Idaho. Lola is eight years younger than I am and I remember special events with her more than the every day activities: a trip she and Joyce took when Lola was about eleven years old to visit me in Portland, Oregon for Rose Festival week, hanging out the window of our apartment over Broadway, watching the Grand Floral Parade pass by - fun!; just months before she and Jerry married, an unforgettable trip Lola and I made to Switzerland with Mom to visit Grandpa Bruesch's homeland, Lola had to sit away from the window of the train as it passed through the Alps because of her fear of exposed heights - I didn't mind!; one Christmas Mom and I spent with Lola and her family when they still lived in the "trailer" - fun! (Most things we did with our Mom were fun and I know that if Lola were here she would say the same thing); And starting in 2001, our annual Sisters' Getaways. Heaven on Earth! We always have so much fun. Lola loved the ocean. She lived her life with grace, generosity, and humility. Now she has passed away unexpectedly and our Getaways will never be quite the same. We love and miss her so much. ....til we meet again.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or memory of Lola